Thursday, April 30, 2009

CSI: Israel













You would think that based on our experience watching Quincy, Colombo and CSI we would have the tools to reconstruct how I managed to smash my cheekbone, occipital orbit/brow ridge and thigh while making a desperate attempt to reach the bathroom at 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning. But this is not the case. Somehow there is a gap between my stumbling from the bed and Lew discovering me bent over the bathtub disgorging the contents of the many meals I managed to consume over the course of our 2-day tiyul (trip) north with friends Pat and Norman, visitors from the States. Now I am sporting a lovely black eye (thank goodness for sunglasses!)in addition a colorful bruise the size of a large cucumber across my thigh. Lucky for me I didn’t put out my eye in the process. Also, since no visit to the emergency room was required we didn’t have to explain that my husband had not beaten me for messing up the bathroom. I can, however, imagine how a motor vehicle/pedestrian accident survivor must feel after a collision (an unfortunately frequent occurrence here). But don't get me started on the drivers. Last week, the bus driver had to break so precipitously to avoid a collision that I went flying into the lap of the large woman seated across from me. As we resumed our places I mumbled, "slicha" (all-purpose phrase meaning excuse me) and she just shrugged her shoulders and smiled as if to say, "it happens."

Meanwhile, although my stomach is not entirely back to normal that has not stopped me from indulging in lemon/mint sorbet, chocolate-hazelnut torte, and chocolate/poppyseed sweet rolls in the last few days, after a brief respite limiting myself to chicken soup and yogurt. Characteristically, I have become a connoisseur of all the fantastic gelato venues, as well as the numerous bakeries, chocolate shops and cafes in neighborhoods throughout Tel Aviv. Lew thinks I should organize a chocolate and gelato maven’s tour of Israel, replete with appropriate biblical and historical references. The above photo was taken on trendy Sheinkin St. at Orna and Ella, a hip eatery known for their homemade desserts. We are about to share a chocolate-hazelnut torte that sent us swooning. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment