Friday, March 27, 2009

Who is this Woman?







Yes, c’est moi outfitted in full bird-watching, bike-riding regalia at the Hula Nature Reserve. As you can see, we rented bikes and binoculars for the 11 km ride around this wonderful bird sanctuary, which happens to be surrounded by agricultural fields. The farmers and naturalists have managed to cooperate to find ways to keep the birds from destroying the crops while maintaining a protected environment for them. The most famous residents are the silver cranes from Russia and Finland who spend the winter in Israel. They are a noisy lot. The couples, joined for life, depend on vocalization to stay in touch with each other as they migrate. We were lucky to see quite a group of them who had not yet left for their return trip north. Amongst them we saw one lone (soundless) stork while other sightings included a great egret, little egret, pelican, kingfisher, ducks and lapwings. I ‘m pretty sure I also saw a European roller—bright purple and blue. I know all this from my handy laminated foldout pocket guide “Birds of Israel” purchased along with the guides to wildflowers, trees, and mammals at the reserve. I am now fully prepared to identify all the plants and creatures I come across. I can assure you, however, there’s no danger that I’ll join the worldwide community of birdwatchers since, as those who know me can attest, I am not usually up at the crack of dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment